February of 2015, at the BMW Dingolfing factory located in Munich, Germany, BMW Motorsports pulled another fully track-equipped game changer out of its garage – the M6 GT3. The initial test-drive session was conducted by the Dutch-born German professional racing driver Jörg Müller who has held a glorious track record and numerous winnings.
Later in the year during September of 2015, the official premier of the BMW M6 GT3 was held at the world’s largest international motor show happening in Frankfurt, Germany – Internationale Automobil-Ausstellung (IAA - International Automobile Exhibition or The International Motor Show). The stunning new-comer is fitted to enter GT racing, and endurance races internationally beginning 2016 in replacement of the outgoing BMW Z4 GT3 (2010-2015). It goes on sale towards the end of 2015 for racers at around 379,000 euros or approximately $410,000 US dollars.
Inheriting a Iconic Racing Tradition
The Director of BMW Motorsports, Jens Marquardt, had expressed:
This is a big moment for everyone who has worked so intensely and passionately on the development of the BMW M6 GT3 in recent months. This car incorporates all the experience we have gained in recent years on the endurance and GT racing circuits. We are well on schedule with the development, and are confident we will be able to take to the track in 2016 with a package that is competitive from the outset. We still have a lot of work ahead of us, but I would like to take this opportunity to say a big thank you to everyone who has been involved with this fantastic project.
As Marquardt stated, the M6 GT3 encompasses drastic improvements in technology, performance, and economy. Utilizing the essence of the best of the motorsports development, this new race car is even more aerodynamic and powerful than its predecessors. With its custom tuned M TwinPower Turbocharged engine, transaxle drive concept, long wheelbase and lightweight design, this high performance work of art will be seen tearing up the tracks and snatching up trophies all around the world.
M6 GT3 Specifications
The powerful heart of the BMW M6 GT3 is based on the 4.4-litre production engine with M TwinPower Turbo Technology, as is used in the BMW M6 Coupé. The only modifications have been made to the oil supply and intercooling. A breakdown of specification is as follow:
Engine Specs on Production Version:
- 4.4-liter P63 production engine with M TwinPower Turbo Technology 2/production Turbocharger
- BMW Motorsport custom specified oil supply system based on dry sump
- Special designed Air/air intercooling
- V8 engine at 4,395 cc Capacity with output rated at 585 hp depending on classification
- Cosworth engine management with BMW Motorsport custom developed software
- Six-speed sequential racing transmission
- Ricardo transaxle unit with adjustable differential (preload) perfectly distributes weight between the front and rear axles
- Generator, air-conditioning compressor, Hydraulic four-disc sintered clutch on gearbox
- Zytek actuator
- BBS rims in black
- Aerodynamically optimized and GT3 compliant chassis to be introduced in 2016
- Easily accessible brake liquid reservoirs, data export connections, and connections for lifting equipment, engine oil, and checking the oil
- Air jack system
- Makrolon® discs with heated front disc
- Rapid fueling system mountable on right or left of car
- Closed undercarriage
- Double wishbone axel for both front and rear with adjustable height, camber, track, and roll center
- Anti-roll bar on front and rear axle, adjustable from exterior
- Four-way adjustable Öhlins shock absorbers
- Adjustable traction control
- AP Racing brake system
- Fixed caliper at front brakes: 6-piston
- Fixed calliper at rear brakes: 4-piston
- Adjustable BOSCH Motorsport ABS system
- 13“ x 18“ front axle
- 13“ x 18“ rear axle
- Light weight construction makes total weight less than 1,300 kg (approx. 2,866 lbs.)
- Complete carbon fiber exterior
- Carbon fiber crash-structure at front
- Carbon Fiber Reinforced Plastic (CFRP) crash-element at rear
- LED headlights
- Aerodynamically optimized splitter, diffusor and rear wing
- Electrically adjustable wing mirrors
- Ventilated BMW safety seat (, with adjustable height and length), oriented towards center of car for maximum safety
- Welded safety cage in line with latest FIA standards
- Adjustable steering column equipped with Removable multi-functional steering wheel and pedal shift.
- Illuminated control panel with status LEDs for operating pit speed limiter, full beam/flash function, traction control, radio, wiper, display, drink system, etc.
- Color display with optional logger function
- Adjustable pedal box
- Motorsport wiring harness with various free sockets for data logger
- Fire extinguishing system
BMW Motorsports instills confidence in this highly-anticipated star of the 2016 GT race. Before the official release of the production version in 2016, the BMW M6 GT3 must undergo rigorous drive tests in different circuits and rounds of fine-tuning. Orders can be placed as soon as end of 2015 and buyers of the car will be able to compete in the 2016 BMW Sports Trophy.